One of the tasks of the Affordable Housing Working Groups (AHWG) was to develop and implement a communications plan to ensure that Council and the community have a good understanding of the housing initiatives underway. Under the co-ordination of a communications consultant, a communications plan and strategy were approved by Council.
- Introduce and launch the waitlist process for ownership of the affordable housing units to be produced under the Affordable Housing Policy #08-03. (see Affordable Housing Launch)
- Create awareness about the steps that the Municipality and its AHWG have taken towards developing affordable housing on Bowen.
The components of the communication program included the following:
- Establish a website dedicated to the new affordable housing initiatives
- Develop a set of FAQs to explain specific aspects of the new initiatives
- Write a set of articles for the Undercurrent on specific relevant topics
- Distribute an island-wide brochure outlining the affordable housing program and waitlist
- Organize two public open houses to launch the affordable home ownership program
Elements of the communication strategy are described further in this section of the website: