As well as carrying out its work plan, the Affordable Housing Working Group (AHWG) was often requested to provide comment on or participate in various island processes involving housing issues.
REFERRALS FROM COUNCIL
1. Rezoning Application: Inn on Bowen
2. Development Concept Plan: Cape Roger Curtis 2008
3. Rezoning Application: Davies Orchard Cottages
4. Rezoning Application: Abbeyfield House & BI Seniors Cooperative Housing
5. Land-Use Bylaw Amendment: BIM Community Lands
6. Rezoning Application: Belterra Cohousing
1. Sustainability Framework Working Group
Two members of the AHWG, along with its affordable housing consultant participating as a community member, were part of this Council-appointed advisory group. The outcomes of this community-based were intended to help guide decision making. Both documents included the dimensions of community and the need for affordable housing in a vision of a sustainable future for Bowen Island, and in assessing the community benefits of proposed new developments.
- Bowen Island 2020 Vision and Sustainability Framework, July 2008
- Bowen Island 2020 Vision and Development Assessment Tool, January 2008
2. Official Community Plan Update
The AHWG participated in the 2009-2010 update to the Bowen Island Official Community Plan (OCP) to ensure that the community-based work in support of policies that support affordable and diverse housing choices was reflected in the updating of the OCP. The AHWG submitted comments on the initial draft of the updated OCP.
- Bowen Island Official Community Plan Update Draft – AHWG comments
- AHWG minutes 2010 June 30
- Bowen Island Official Community Plan (By-law No. 282, 2010)
3. Belterra Cohousing Rezoning Public Hearing
The AHWG made a statement at the public hearing for the Belterra Cohousing rezoning in support of the application, and drew attention to the the fact that this project was the first new development to include non-market, price-restricted affordable housing units to be produced under the Affordable Housing Policy #08-03.
- Belterra Land-Use Bylaw Amendment
- Belterra Public Hearing: AHWG comments 2012 February 20
- Belterra Public Hearing: Council minutes 2012 February 20
4. UBCM Affordable Housing Questionnaire
The AHWG responded to a request for feedback to inform a policy paper on affordable housing and homeless to be prepared by the Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM).